Sunday, August 19, 2012

Exciting week, AHOY!!

I hope everyone is doing well! This week I am having quite a few tests done. In fact, I'm finally getting results that I have been waiting THREE months for.  That's right, we finally get to see what the Gamma Knife did inside my head. So, here is how the schedule goes:

Monday: PET Scan 
Thursday: MRI then appt with the Brain Doc to see what all the Gamma Knife treatment did
Friday: Bloodwork, Visit with Dr MO to see the results of the PET Scan and to see what kind of chemo I will be receiving on Friday...full blown or maintenance!

I'm exhausted just thinking about the upcoming week.

Since November (Lung Cancer Month) is quickly approaching, I thought I would share some facts from Lung Cancer Leaders

WOMEN AND LUNG CANCER
Lung cancer will take the lives of 71,000 women this year – more deaths than from 
breast, ovarian, and uterine cancers combined - yet cancer’s #1 killer of women remains 
greatly overlooked and misunderstood. Here are some of the essential facts about women 
and lung cancer:

*Lung cancer kills more women each year than breast, uterine and ovarian cancers 
combined.
*93% misidentified the leading cancer killer of women or have no idea what it is.
*Lung cancer will kill 71,000 women this year, nearly 80% more than will die 
from breast cancer
*Only 8% of women know lung cancer is the leading cancer killer of women (49% 
think breast cancer is)
*One in every 16 women will develop lung cancer in her lifetime
*Lung cancer diagnoses among women are up six fold over the last 30 years
*One in five women diagnosed with lung cancer never smoked
*Approximately 20,000-25,000 people who have never smoked are diagnosed with 
lung cancer in the U.S. each year; more than 60 percent are women
* As a separate disease category, lung cancer deaths in never-smokers ranks as the 
seventh deadliest cancer worldwide
*The overall 5 year survival rate for women with lung cancer lags far behind those 
of other women’s cancers (Lung cancer: 18.8%, Breast cancer: 90.1%, Ovarian 
cancer: 45.6%, Uterine cancer: 81.1%, Cervical cancer: 71.8%)
*Lung cancer receives $1,249 of federal funding per death, while breast cancer 
receives $27,480 per death, followed by $14,336 for prostate cancer and $6,590
for colon cancer
*Lung cancer surpassed breast cancer as the #1 cancer killer of women in 1987

References:
Cancer Facts and Figures 2011, American Cancer Society. 
029771.pdf Accessed October 2011.
Hyams and Johnson. Out of the Shadows: Woman and Lung Cancer. Brigham and Women’s Hospital. 
2010.
Out of the Shadows: Women and Lung Cancer, Lung Cancer Alliance. 
The Desperate Need for Lung Cancer Funding. Uniting Against Lung Cancer.
GfK Roper Public Affairs national survey, conducted Oct 7-9, 2011. 

Remember Cancer isn't always pink!

I will be sure to let you all know what I find out!  

Thanks for all your love and support! It makes my heart shine!

Love!
K*

6 comments:

  1. I was just thinking about you this morning, and now an update... yay! It sounds like a rough week ahead but I hope you get some answers and some good news. Love you much, praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fixed hummus and taziki today to pack for work...wish i had a plate of gyro meat from Ali Babbas to go with it! Made me think about our trips there and you going the other week. Hope to visit before long. Will have to come see you! Give you a hug in person. -Jenny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting that Kristi I wasn't aware at all of those facts! Is there anything I can do without money to help pass this awareness along?

    I wish you luck and will pray for you especially this Friday. Stay strong and fancy!

    Emily

    ReplyDelete
  4. just when I thought I had a busy week....Keep us up to date!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thinking of you all the time! Even though I don't post much!! Sending love!

    ReplyDelete